In March 2017, Humanity First - Texas Chapter sent a group of volunteers to Chiapas, Mexico, where they worked in conjunction with Humanity First USA to help operate a Maternity/Pediatric Clinic, as well as set up a community center for the local indigenous population. Over $20,000 was raised for the project, and the Gift of Health Campaign is now an annual initiative for Humanity First every Spring.
In March 2018, Humanity First travelled to Antigua, Guatemala to volunteer in a Cervical Cancer Clinic and in two schools, one in a small town of Escuintla and the Humanity First Guatemala school. Our $16,500 of fundraising was able to run the clinic and install an entire bathroom facility for the Escuintla school. The school would use the river water that they would carry in buckets which often times was heavily polluted; therefore, we were able to provide them access to cleaner water that was more readily available.
This Spring of 2019, we will once again be travelling to Guatemala to work in conjunction with our national chapter to continue the Gift of Health Campaign missions.
Throughout the year, Humanity First fundraises for these projects. A few things we plan to provide through Gift of Health are as follows:
1. FREE education on vital topics like Women's Nutrition, Domestic Violence, Mental Health, Cervical cancer/Breast cancer, and more
2. FREE cervical cancer screenings and pelvic exams
3. FREE treatment for common vaginal infections and STI's
4. FREE general medications like pain pills, supplements, and contraceptive/hormonal regulative medications as needed
5. FREE advice and consultations with nurses and local doctors
6. FREE blood pressure check
The money we fundraise throughout the year also goes towards medication and general supplies.
- $40 buys azithromycin, treatment for chlamydia for 75 women (about $0.50 per woman).
- $55 buys enough iodine to check for suspicious cervical cells for over a hundred women (~$0.55 per woman)
- $65 dollars buys enough speculums for over 100 women's exams (~$0.65 per woman)
- $100 buys 100 women one treatment for candidiasis ($1 per woman)
- $130 buy calcium supplements for 2 months for 16 women who are breastfeeding or pregnant.
The list goes on with more antibiotics, pain relievers, supplies, and camp logistic needs, but every donated dollar is significant, as shown above, in providing supplies for Gift of Health.
These women and children are the future of their country and communities, and with some basic and needed assistance, which we take for granted here, we can help preserve that future and give the gift of hope and health.